Yesterday was a wild day. Sarah Palin quit her job as Governor. She gave what has to be the most incoherent, rambling speech in modern history - one that now seems to have been quickly arranged and without much warning. IT also looks like there might have been reasons she quit so abruptly other than the press was mean to her.
And I blogged none of it.
So here's a collection of what I should have blogged but didn't because I was having too much fun over on twitter reveling in the crash and burn that was Presidential Candidate John McCain's choice for the one who'd be a heart beat away from the Presidency.
Palin's real plan for the future (according to NBC's Andrea Mitchell)?:
The news & reactions from various sites:
- ThinkProgress: Gov. Sarah Palin Quits Her Job
- NYT: Palin to Resign as Governor of Alaska
- NYT: Palin’s Move Shocks G.O.P. and Leaves Future Unclear
- WaPo: The Sarah Palin Chronicles Mask Deeper GOP Troubles
- WaPo: Palin's Foolish Resignation
- TPM: Palin Announces Resignation: 'Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow'
- AP: Timeline: The short, strange political career of Sarah Palin
- The Colorado Independent: The great communicator: Sarah Palin's rambling weird resignation
- Fairbanks Daily News: Palin's resignation catches Alaska lawmakers, delegation by surprise
- Kansas City Star: Sarah Palin cuts and runs
- Boston Herald: Sarah Palin 'shocker'
- Time: Why Sarah Palin Quit
- Alaska Democrats: She's crazy
- AK Dems Blast Palin: "Palin's lack of commitment to her sworn obligation to serve her term to the best of her ability is a betrayal to all Alaskans"
- DKos' DemFromCT: Your Abbreviated Pundit Round-up (Special Sarah Palin Edition)
- Palin Resigns: Will Step Down As Governor, Move Shocks Political Analysts
- David Shuster: "My view on Palin? I agree with top GOPers: "the worst political move ever," "erratic," "nuttier than Sanford," and "she is toast."
- Paul Begala: Palin Makes Mark Sanford Look Positively Stable
- Bill Kristol: "If I had to guess, we just saw the opening statement of the 2012 campaign."
- Bill Kristol double downs: "If Palin wants to run in 2012, why not do exactly what she announced today? It's an enormous gamble - but it could be a shrewd one."
- Live from Twitter! The Media Reacts to Sarah Palin's Resignation
- Comedy Gold: The Republican Base Reacts to Palin
- Alert! The Real Reason Why Sarah Palin is Resigning! w/ Update
- Salon's Joan Walsh: The Wasilla soap opera just gets weirder as Palin complains critics are "picking apart a good point guard" (also a must read from Joan: The Salon story that sparked a Palin-McCain feud)
- HuffPo: Top Ten Reasons Sarah Palin Resigned
- Andrew Sullivan: More Palin Reax & Toast & The Miniseries Ends,& & &
- NYT's Gail Collins: Sarah's Straight Talk
- NYT - The Caucus: Palin Chatter
- The Progressive Majority: Let Palin be a warning, the actual ethics charges...
- CNN: Palin is Alaska's 'greatest gift' to US, her successor says
- Atlantic Online: Obligatory Sarah Palin Resignation Post
- Jeff Lieber: "It was four yeses and one 'hell yeah!'"
- Andy Borowitz: Comedians Mourn Palin's Resignation
- HuffPo: Palin's Resignation Splits GOP
- Paul Begala: Sarah Palin Turns Pro
- Rachel Sklar: Sarah Palin, You Owe The Media An Apology
- DKos: Righties Blasted by Palin Bombshell
- Did an embezzlement scandal force Sarah Palin to resign?
- Palin May Be Facing An Embezzlement Scandal
- Rumors fly of possible Palin embezzlement indictment
- FireDogLake: Palin: Is There A Scandal Or Is She Just Abandoning Her Office And Constituents
- Shannon Moore: WHY DID SHE QUIT?
- Brad Blog Exclusive: PALIN RESIGNATION 'DAMAGE CONTROL' FOR COMING 'ICEBERG SCANDAL'
- More on Brad Blog News from Daily Kos: Brad Blog: Federal Indictments for Palin in Embezzlement Scandal May Be on the Way
- FireDogLake's EdwardTeller: This just in my inbox, from a source connected sometimes to CNN: "Here's a quote I got from law enforcement here in Alaska yesterday afternoon regarding Palin "a criminal indictment is pending authorization."
- Palin: Criminal Indictment “Pending,” Reports Alaska Law Enforcement Official
Sen. Murkowksi (R) Blasts Sarah Palin: You Abandoned Our State
Alaska's Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski issued a surprisingly harsh statement late on Friday, ripping Gov. Sarah Palin's decision to leave office at the end of the month. "I am deeply disappointed that the Governor has decided to abandon the State and her constituents before her term has concluded," Murkowski wrote.If White House Is Her Goal, Palin’s Route Is Risky
...if some of her supporters are correct in surmising what she is doing — turning full time to preparing herself, after a tough year, for a presidential campaign in 2012 — it represents a huge gamble, even by the standards of a politician whose short career has been shaped by huge gambles.Greg Sargent (Bailin’ Barracuda, Or The Quitah From Wasilla):
If one of Ms. Palin’s goals was to erase the perception of her as flighty — a perception encouraged by some McCain lieutenants in the rough aftermath of the failed campaign — it certainly could not have been helped to have a staged an out-of-the-blue announcement that shocked even her closest aides and whose theatrics probably tempted Tina Fey and the “Saturday Night Live” production crew to abandon their vacations and head to the studio.
This is a woman who appears to crave dominance, and gets visibly frustrated and deeply rattled when it eludes her or when her self-mastery wavers. She can’t dominate or control the national media or her national image. This was borne out again with the flap over the Vanity Fair article. She quit in a huff, and doesn’t have any intention of coming back.
One other thought: How could someone who resigned as Governor of Alaska possibly present herself as ready for the presidency?
"Either Palin is resigning ahead of some titanic scandal (which should emerge in short order if it exists) or her resignation was triggered by an even more extreme mental instability than we’d previously suspected."The Nation's John Nichols (Palin Goes Gonzo):
LOL from FoxNews.com (h/t Josh Marshall):
Maybe the soon-to-be-former governor of Alaska is still delusional enough to think she can convince the party bosses that she's a contender for the GOP's 2012 presidential nomination.
Maybe the 2008 Republican nominee for vice president is going to take them all on with a gonzo-style populist run against not just President Obama but the entire political establishment. And her talk about supporting change agents inside the Republican party and "outside it" suggests that she might actually be open to an independent or third-party bid.Then again, maybe, just maybe, Palin was not thinking about much of anything Friday, when she steered off what certainly looks like the political equivalent of a cliff.
"She should also lead the nation's mothers to oppose mandating replacement of incandescent light bulbs with the new mercury poison gas bulbs."