4.28.2009

BREAKING NEWS: Senator Arlen Specter Switching Parties!

HOLY SHIT. This is HUGE.

From Arlen Specter:

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election.

I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance.

[snip]

My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords’ switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

Read the entire Press Release | digg story

Not thrilled with the part that I highlighted. Make no sense that he'd announce this NOW. And if this is true, then him not voting with Dems on cloture, then he's no good to Dems.

UPDATE - READ MORE:
From the NY Times: Sen. Specter to Switch Parties to Democrat
From ThinkProgress: Specter To Switch Parties And Run As A Democrat In 2010
From HuffPo: Arlen Specter Switching Parties From Republican To Democrat
From TPM: That Makes 60: SEN. SPECTER SWITCHING PARTIES
From Kos: Specter switches to Democratic Party
Video From DailyKosTV: Specter switches parties, says GOP hostile to moderates:


digg this video

blog comments powered by Disqus