9.25.2007

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough is astounded by Bill O'Reilly's racist comments about Sylvia's in Harlem

I don't normally appreciate Joe, but this item from Media Matters made me smile:

On the September 25 edition of MSNBC's Morning Joe, host Joe Scarborough, co-anchor Mika Brzezinski, and guest host Willie Geist discussed Fox News host Bill O'Reilly's recent comment, documented by Media Matters for America, that he, in Scarborough's words, "couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between a black restaurant and a white restaurant," after a recent trip to Harlem's famous restaurant Sylvia's. Scarborough twice played audio clips of O'Reilly's comments, made on the September 19 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show. Scarborough called the remarks "shocking" and "fascinating," and added, "I'm sure we're going to be hearing more about that throughout the day." Scarborough also highlighted O'Reilly's comment that everyone at the restaurant was "tremendously respectful," to which Geist responded: "And Sylvia's of all places, which is like world famous, great restaurant. He was still surprised." From the September 25 edition of MSNBC's Morning Joe:
SCARBOROUGH: You know, I just heard the most fascinating clip in my ear. Bill O'Reilly, on the syndicated talk show, on September the 19th, was describing a lunch with the Reverend Al Sharpton, and I will say no more; I'm just going to play it and let you be the judge of what he said.
...

He could not get over the fact that there was no difference, even though the restaurant was run by black people.
...

It is shocking. So, I've got chills right now, going up and down my back. I'm gonna throw it over to you all and think I'm gonna take a shower.

read more | digg story

blog comments powered by Disqus